An escape to the Country – a visit to Cowra and surrounding villages – a backroad trip to Wiradjuri Country,
Enjoy two days in Cowra and surrounding area which offers you a gentle, rural experience and no border closures.
We will visit the following sites and sights during the weekend (not necessarily in this order).
- The Japanese Gardens ($15 seniors).
- The Japanese cemetery, the war graves and the site of the POW camp. Thomas Keneally’s novel, Shame and the Captives gives a good description of life in the camp before and during the breakout.
- Wyangala Dam which holds twice as much water as Sydney Harbour and recently spilled over resulting in the flooding of the Lachlan River and Cowra.
- The village of Woodstock and a stop at the Royal Hotel Woodstock.
- Canowindra and the Age of Fishes Museum. ($8 for seniors).
- Lunch at Montrose House, Canowindra ($35).
- Eugowra, with painted murals, bushranger country (featured last year on Backroads) and Goolagong village and pub.
- A tour of Cowra and a visit to Europa Park for a migrant history talk by our guide.
- The Peace Bell and the Art Gallery.