An escape to the Country – a visit to Cowra and surrounding villages – a backroad trip to Wiradjuri Country,
Enjoy two days in Cowra and surrounding area which offers you a gentle, rural experience and no border closures.
We will visit the following sites and sights during the weekend (not necessarily in this order).
- The Japanese Gardens ($15 seniors).
- The Japanese cemetery, the war graves and the site of the POW camp. Thomas Keneally’s novel, Shame and the Captives gives a good description of life in the camp before and during the breakout.
- Wyangala Dam which holds twice as much water as Sydney Harbour and recently spilled over resulting in the flooding of the Lachlan River and Cowra.
- The village of Woodstock and a stop at the Royal Hotel Woodstock.
- Canowindra and the Age of Fishes Museum. ($8 for seniors).
- Lunch at Montrose House, Canowindra ($35).
- Eugowra, with painted murals, bushranger country (featured last year on Backroads) and Goolagong village and pub.
- A tour of Cowra and a visit to Europa Park for a migrant history talk by our guide.
- The Peace Bell and the Art Gallery.
Numbers: limited to approximately 20
Getting there: The trip to Cowra takes about 4 hours and as there is no train to Cowra, you will need to drive yourself or carpool.
Cost of tour: $65 per person per day
Other costs include:
- all meals
- accommodation (around $130 per room per night). Some accommodation has been booked at this point but may need more depending on response from members.
- Entry to sites, prices listed above.
Dinner arrangements can be flexible but dinner together on Friday night would be good. Don’t forget your dine and discover vouchers.
Please use the online booking form to express your interest.
Convener: Please contact Judy Mitchell to discuss accommodation details.
Close of date for bookings: 1 May 2022 or when reached capacity.